Awesome Image

How to Apply for the H1B Visa?

Here are the steps you need to go through in order to apply for the H1B visa:

  • 1. Make sure you qualify for the H1B visa.

  • 2. Find a petitioner by applying for a job opening in the US .

  • 3. Have the petitioning initiated by your employer.

  • 4. Apply for the H1B visa at the nearest US Embassy/Consulate in your home country.

H1B Visa make a formal application Process for Employers

Here are the steps that employers need to go through to petition a foreign worker:

  • 1. Have a Labor Condition Application (LCA).

  • 2. File a petition with USCIS.

  • 3. Fill in form I-129.

  • 4. Submit the forms and the documents file.

  • 5. Wait for the review from USCIS.

Have a Labor Condition Application (LCA)

The US employer must get an approved Labor Conditions Application (LCA) from the US Department of Labor. This certifies that the US employer can hire foreign workers. It also states that the employer will offer them fair compensation and treatment. Finally, it proves that the employer must hire a foreign worker because a US citizen is not qualified, available, or willing to work in that job position. In that form, they should indicate the number of years that they will hire foreign workers.

The LCA is filed with the US Department of Labor (DOL). The employer must have an approved LCA before taking any other steps in hiring the employee. The employee cannot start working before all certifications and documents are obtained. File a petition with USCIS

The second step is to give a job offer to the foreign employee and file the Form I-129. This is the petition which goes to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker is the main form and USCIS is the main authority in processing the petitions. This form is filed to obtain permission from the US government to hire a foreign worker.

I-129 forms

Employers have to file separate I-129 forms for each employee.

I-129 forms are required:

  • If the employee is being hired by two companies, each one has to file a Form I-129

  • If the employee wants to extend their work, the employer has to file a Form I-129

  • If the employee is switching jobs, the new employer has to file a new Form I-129 (H1B Transfer)

Submit the forms along with the document file

The forms must be signed in black ink and compiled in a file. The petitioner must include the fee checks and the following supporting documents:

  • I-129 Form filling fee – Employers can also apply to waive this fee from USCIS by filling in Form I-912

  • Employer Funded Training Fee ($1,500 for employers with more than 25 full-time employees in the US; $750 for employers with less than 25 full-time employees in the US)

  • Fraud Prevention and Detection Fee of $500 for each foreign employee

  • Pay the Public Law 114-113 Fee of $4,000 – this fee applies if the employer has more than 50 employees, and 50% of them are on H1B or L visas. The employer does not have to pay the fee is they are extending or amending the USCIS petition.

  • Employees who want Premium Processing from USCIS have to pay an additional $1,225 (and Form I-907)

  • If the employer is represented by an attorney, Form G-28 is also needed

  • Form I-129

Other documents:

  • Proof that the foreign worker meets the educational qualifications (copies of diplomas/certifications)

  • A copy of the foreign worker’s passport

  • A copy of the contract signed by the employer and employee

  • Internal Tax Returns of the company

  • A report of state wages paid to employees

  • 15 photographs of the premise of your business

Where do I submit the petition?

The petition is then submitted to USCIS in one of its four locations:

  • Nebraska Service Center (LIN for Lincoln, Nebraska);

  • Vermont Service Center (EAC for Eastern Adjudication Center);

  • Texas Service Center (SRC for Southern Regional Center);

  • California Service Center (WAC for Western Adjudication Center).

The employer must submit the petition at the closest service center in the area that they are. Once USCIS receives it, they will issue your case number. The case number will have a specific format. An example would be EAC-18-107-50321. This is the number through which you must check your petition status. The first three letters show the service center (EAC in this case is for Vermont). The second two numbers (18) refer to the year that the petition is submitted. In this case it refers to the year of 2018. The other number (107) refers to the day when the application was submitted. This gets counted from the first day that USCIS opens the application period until the last day, not including weekends and holidays. And the final five numbers (50321) represent your case number. This case number is not in order of how your application gets received. USCIS does not give information on how they number this.

Wait for the review from USCIS will review the petition and determine whether the job is speculative or real, and then grant or deny it. Neither the employer or employee can take any actions before this petition or H1B sponsorship process is approved. If USCIS approves the petition for foreign workers, they will issue a Form I-797. This means that the employee can start application procedures.

Steps to Apply for an H1B Visa

The H1B Application is filled by the applicant. In addition to the employers, employees or H1B applicants also have to complete these steps:

  • 1. Fill in Form DS-160. The DS-160 is the most important part of the application. You need to follow all instructions and provide accurate information.

  • 2. Schedule an interview. Try to schedule the interview as early as possible. US Embassies take time to process each request, so the earlier you make the appointment, the better it will be for you.

  • 3. Pay the H1B visa fees. The application fee is $190.

  • 4. Submit required documents for H1B Visa.

  • 5. Attend the H1B interview. During the interview, you should have your documents and be prepared to answer extensive questions about your place of work and your specific job. If it is your first time applying, they will also take your fingerprints which will be saved in the US system.

Required Documents for an H1B Visa Application

After you have paid the H1B visa fees, you must submit the required documents for employees as listed below:

  • Your current passport.

  • Copy of your current passport pages.

  • All previous passports.

  • Receipts that prove you have paid your visa fees.

  • A photograph which meets the Digital Image Requirements.

  • Visa interview appointment letter (Original and 1 copy).

  • Printed Form I-129 Receipt number and the original and 1 copy of Form I-129.

  • Copy of Form I-797.

  • Letter from your employer with your job description.

  • Your qualifications (diplomas and certifications).

If you have worked before in the US, you also have to submit:

  • Your tax return forms.

  • Names and contact information of previous employers and supervisors.

  • Resume or CV.

  • Pay slips for the past 12 months.

If this is the first time you are applying, you should submit these additional documents:

  • Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV).

  • Names and contact information of supervisors and managers of your current and previous jobs.

  • Names and contact information of two co-workers of your current and previous jobs.

  • A letter describing your job duties and responsibilities of the job you will have in the US.

  • Photographs of your current and previous job locations.

  • Photographs of the building where you will be working in the US (outside and inside), annual report, prospectus, any brochures.

  • Bank statements.

Total Costs of an H1b Visa

Besides the $190 for the H1B application at the embassy additional fees you have to pay for the H1B visa are:

  • Visa issuance fee. Which is different for various embassies, so you should check with your local US Embassy about the amount

  • Additional fees. For employers with more than 50 employees, where 50% of them are on H1B or L visas, there is an additional fee of $2,250 which the employee/applicant has to pay

What Is the H1B Lottery?

The lottery is the process through which the USCIS selects which applicants will receive an H1B visa. The selection is entirely random. Your employer has a two-week frame in March to submit an H1B petition to the USCIS. (The H1B 2021 lottery opened on March 9 and ran until March 25). After submission, the USCIS put the petition through the random selection digital process and randomly select 85,000 people from the pool of applicants. The US issues 65,000 regular H1B visas and 20,000 H1B visas for applicants who have a master’s degree or higher.

If you have been selected, the USCIS will notify your employer by the end of March. Then, starting from April 1, you can schedule an interview appointment with the US Embassy/Consulate in your country and get the visa stamp on your passport.

How to See My H1B Status Updates?

When your employer submits the H1B visa petition, you will receive a 13-digit receipt number which you can use to check on your H1B status on the USCIS website. The receipt number starts with an “ EAC, WAC, LIN, SRC, NBC, MSC or IOE” and is followed by 10 numbers. Your status could state one of the following:

Submitted – Your employer has submitted the petition and it is eligible to be selected.

Selected – You have been selected and can file an H1B cap petition.

Not Selected – You have not been selected and cannot file an H1B cap petition.

Denied – Your employer has submitted more than one petition on your behalf and thus, your entire petition has been rejected.

Invalidated - Failed Payment – Your employer has submitted a petition, but the payment has somehow failed or not gone through.

What Kind of Health Insurance Am I Eligible For?

The type of H1B health insurance you are eligible for depends on how long you will be staying in the US . As an H1b visa holder you can have:

  • Short-term insurance

  • Long-term (domestic) insurance

To learn more about the health insurance options for H1B visa holders visit the article.

How Long Do I Have to Wait for Processing?

The H1B visa processing time depends from country to country. US Embassies in different countries/cities have various processing times, so it is best to contact them for any details.

How Long Can I Stay in the US with an H1B Visa?

The H1B visa is initially valid for 3 years but can extend for another 3 years. In total, a person can stay and work in the US for 6 years at most. However, that does not mean that the person must return to their home country. What makes the H1B visa popular is that it is a dual intent visa. Dual intent visas allow its holders to apply for a change of status to an immigrant visa. So, if you qualify and have a valid job offer after the 6 years, you may apply for an Employment Based Green Card.

How to Extend the H1B Visa?

The H1B extension procedures are similar to the initial application process. You will need to pay the same fees, except for the Fraud Prevention and Protection Fee. Your employer will also have to follow the same procedures for getting certification from DOL and an approved petition from USCIS. In addition, you will submit these documents:

  • Your passport.

  • Original I-94 Form (which you will get when your visa is approved).

  • Valid I-797 Form.

  • Letter from your employer describing your work in detail and signed by the company representatives.

H1B Amendment

The H1B Amendment requires US employers to file an amended petition in case the employee has any material changes. Material changes are defined as anything that impacts the employee’s eligibility for an H1B visa. The USCIS does not give a list of what qualifies as such a change, but examples include:

  • Change in the corporate structure.

  • Promotion to a different department of the employee.

  • If the employee is required to move to a different location than what is registered with USCIS.

The amendment can be filed after the change has occurred. There is no universal guideline on the H1B amendment, so employers will have to contact USCIS to determine whether the change qualified and requires an amended petition.

Can I Bring My Spouse With Me?

Many H1B visa holders want their spouse and children to accompany them. Spouses qualify to accompany H1B visa holders if they get the H 4 visa. Since 2015, H-4 visa holders could qualify to work under the H4 EAD program in certain conditions. In addition, those with H-4 visas are also allowed to enroll in studies. Others who qualify to accompany an H1B visa holder are the children of under 21 years old, with an H-4 visa. It is recommended that the dependent spouse obtains a health insurance policy before travelling to the US due to the enormous costs of healthcare in the US.

What is H1B Visa Stamping?

In case you are granted an H1B visa, you need to go on and apply for the H1B visa stamping. This a process on its own, and you should check out the H1B visa stamping article for more details.

H-1C Visas – Foreign Registered Nurses

The H-1C visas have been designed for one particular field of expertise, which is nursing. Since nurses are highly demanded in the U.S and the country might not have enough qualified workers to fill this shortage, the U.S gives H-1C visas to foreign registered nurses and allows them to work in places where there aren’t enough nurses. The place where the nurses will work is determined by the U.S Department of Labor, which analyzes where nurses are demanded and there is a shortage.

Visitor Visa

Awesome Image

A foreign national traveling to the US for tourist needs a visitor visa (B-2) unless qualifying for entry under the Visa Waiver Program. Tourism is a short visit for vacation, for visiting family and friends, or for medical treatment

For vacation, seeing family and friends, or medical treatment.

  • 1. Overview

  • 2. How to Apply

  • 3. Fees

  • 4. Required Documentation


Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the US must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the US temporarily for business (visa category B-1), for tourism (visa category B-2), or for a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2).

Here are some examples of activities permitted with a visitor visa:

  • Tourism

  • Vacation (holiday)

  • Medical treatment

  • Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations

  • Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating

  • Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

Travel Purposes Not Permitted On Visitor Visas

These are some examples of activities that require different categories of visas and cannot be done while on a visitor visa:

  • Study

  • Employment

  • Paid performances, or any professional performance before a paying audience

  • Arrival as a crewmember on a ship or aircraft

  • Work as foreign press, in radio, film, print journalism, or other information media

  • Permanent residence in the US

How to Apply

There are several steps to apply for a visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary by U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Please consult the instructions on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website. Complete the Online Visa Application. Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 – Learn more about completing the DS-160. You must: 1) complete the online visa application and 2) print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview. Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. Your photo must be in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.

Schedule an Interview

Interviews are generally required for visa applicants with certain limited exceptions below. Consular officers may require an interview of any visa applicant.

13 and younger Generally not required

14-79 Required (some exceptions for renewals)

80 and older Generally not required

You should schedule an appointment for your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. You may schedule your interview at another U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but be aware that it may be more difficult to qualify for a visa outside of the country where you live. Wait times for interview appointments vary by location, season, and visa category, so you should apply for your visa early. Review the interview wait time for the location where you will apply:

Prepare for Your Interview

Fees - Pay the non-refundable application fee, if you are required to pay it before your interview. If your visa is approved, you may also need to pay a visa issuance fee, if applicable to your nationality.

Review the instructions available on the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you will apply to learn more about fee payment.

Required Documentation

Gather and prepare the following required documents before your visa interview:

Passport valid for travel to the US – Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the US (unless exempt by country specific agreements). Each individual who needs a visa must submit a separate application, including any family members listed in your passport.

Non-immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.

Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.

Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements

Additional Documents May Be Required

Review the instructions for how to apply for a visa on the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you will apply. Additional documents may be requested to establish if you are qualified. For example, additional requested documents may include evidence of:

The purpose of your trip,

Your intent to depart the US after your trip, and/or

Your ability to pay all costs of the trip.

Evidence of your employment and/or your family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country. If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all costs for your trip.

Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa.

Attend Your Visa Interview

A consular officer will interview you to determine whether you are qualified to receive a visitor visa. You must establish that you meet the requirements under U.S. law to receive a visa. Ink-free, digital fingerprint scans are taken as part of the application process. They are usually taken during your interview, but this varies based on location. After your visa interview, the consular officer may determine that your application requires further administrative processing. The consular officer will inform you if this required. After the visa is approved, you may need to pay a visa issuance fee (if applicable to your nationality), and make arrangements for the return of the passport and visa to you. Review the visa processing times to learn more.

Entering to US

A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (generally an airport) and request permission to enter the US . A visa does not guarantee entry into the US . The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the port-of-entry have authority to permit or deny admission to the US . If you are allowed to enter the US , the CBP official will provide an admission stamp or a paper Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record. Learn more about admissions and entry requirements, restrictions about bringing food, agricultural products, and other restricted/prohibited goods, and more by reviewing the CBP website.

Extending Your Stay In US

See Extend Your Stay on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website to learn about requesting to extend your stay beyond the date indicated on your admission stamp or paper Form I-94. Failure to depart the US on time will result in being out of status. Under U.S. law, visas of individuals who are out of status are automatically voided (Section 222(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act). Any multiple entry visa that was voided due to being out of status will not be valid for future entries into the US . Failure to depart the US on time may also result in you being ineligible for visas in the future. Review Visa Denials and Ineligibilities and Waivers: Laws to learn more.

Change of Status

If your plans change while in the US (for example, you marry a U.S. citizen or receive an offer of employment), you may be able to request a change in your nonimmigrant status to another category through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). See Change My Nonimmigrant Status on the USCIS website to learn more. While you are in the US , receiving a change of status from USCIS does not require you to apply for a new visa. However, once you depart the US you must apply for a new visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the appropriate category for your travel.

Additional Information

An individual on a visit visa (B1/B2) is not permitted to accept employment or work in the US .

There is no guarantee you will be issued a visa. Do not make final travel plans or buy tickets until you have a visa.

A valid U.S. visa in an expired passport is still valid. Unless canceled or revoked, a visa is valid until its expiration date. If you have a valid visa in your expired passport, do not remove it from your expired passport. You may use your valid visa in your expired passport along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the US.

Travel for Medical Treatment

If you are seeking medical treatment in the US , the consular officer may ask for further documents at your visa interview, which may include:

Medical diagnosis from a local physician, explaining the nature of the ailment and the reason you need treatment in the US .

Letter from a physician or medical facility in the US , stating they are willing to treat your specific ailment and detailing the projected length and cost of treatment (including doctors’ fees, hospitalization fees, and all medical-related expenses).

Proof that your transportation, medical, and living expenses in the US will be paid. This may be in the form of bank or other statements of income/savings or certified copies of income tax returns (either yours or the person or organization paying for your treatment).

Temporary Worker Visas

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the US must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Temporary worker visas are for persons who want to enter the US for employment lasting a fixed period of time, and are not considered permanent or indefinite. Each of these visas requires the prospective employer to first file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). An approved petition is required to apply for a work visa.

S.No Visa category General description – About an individual in this category:
1 H-1B: Person in Specialty Occupation To work in a specialty occupation. Requires a higher education degree or its equivalent. Includes fashion models of distinguished merit and ability and government-to-government research and development, or co-production projects administered by the Department of Defense.
2 H-1B1: Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Professional - Chile, Singapore To work in a specialty occupation. Requires a post-secondary degree involving at least four years of study in the field of specialization. (Note: This is not a petition-based visa. For application procedures, please refer to the website for the U.S. Embassy in Chile or the U.S. Embassy in Singapore.)
3 H-2A: Temporary Agricultural Worker For temporary or seasonal agricultural work. Limited to citizens or nationals of designated countries, with limited exceptions, if determined to be in the US interest.
4 H-2B: Temporary Non-agricultural Worker For temporary or seasonal non- agricultural work. Limited to citizens or nationals of designated countries, with limited exceptions, if determined to be in the US interest.
5 H-3: Trainee or Special Education visitor To receive training, other than graduate medical or academic, that is not available in the trainee’s home country or practical training programs in the education of children with mental, physical, or emotional disabilities.
6 L: Intra Company Transferee To work at a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of the current employer in a managerial or executive capacity, or in a position requiring specialized knowledge. Individual must have been employed by the same employer abroad continuously for 1 year within the three preceding years.
7 O: Individual with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement For persons with extraordinary ability or achievement in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or extraordinary recognized achievements in the motion picture and television fields, demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim, to work in their field of expertise. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual
8 P-1: Individual or Team Athlete, or Member of an Entertainment Group To perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete or as a member of an entertainment group. Requires an internationally recognized level of sustained performance. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.
9 P-2: Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group) For performance under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the US and an organization in another country. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.
10 P-3: Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group) To perform, teach or coach under a program that is culturally unique or a traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.
11 Q-1: Participant in an International Cultural Exchange Program For practical training and employment and for sharing of the history, culture, and traditions of your home country through participation in an international cultural exchange program.

Labor Certification

Some temporary worker visa categories require your prospective employer to obtain a labor certification or other approval from the Department of Labor on your behalf before filing the Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, Form I-129, with USCIS. Your prospective employer should review the Instructions for Form I-129 on the USCIS website to determine whether labor certification is required for you.

Petition Approval

Some temporary worker categories are limited in total number of petitions which can be approved on a yearly basis. Before you can apply for a temporary worker visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, a Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, Form I-129, must be filed on your behalf by a prospective employer and be approved by USCIS. For more information about the petition process, eligibility requirements by visa category, and numerical limits, if applicable, see Working in the U.S. and Temporary (Nonimmigrant) Workers on the USCIS website. Once the petition is approved, USCIS will send your prospective employer a Notice of Action, Form I-797.

How to Apply

After USCIS approves the Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker (Form I-129), you may apply for a visa. There are several steps in the visa application process. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Please consult the instructions available on the embassy or consulate website where you will apply.

Study Visa

Awesome Image


The United States is the world’s leading student destination. It offers unparalleled scope for students from all streams to study and excel in their chosen fields. Coupled with an economy that requires new talent every year, it is the ideal destination for students looking to study and make a life after graduation. Y-Axis offers authoritative support students need to study in the US. Our understanding of the US education system and vast experience with its visa process make us your best bet to study in the US.


The US universities are able to provide the best possible platform to international students, which is evident from their high rankings. The Country’s education system offers the most comprehensive coursework to students with an equal emphasis on both practical and theoretical learning.

  • 1. Affordable Education

  • 2. Diversity and Flexibility

  • 3. Outstanding support system for overseas students

  • 4. Healthy and Safe Communities International students can often work while they study & Internships Exciting Campus Lifestyle

  • 5. International students can often work while they study & Internships

  • 6. Exciting Campus Lifestyle


The US Universities fall under two major categories: public-funded and private institutions. International students’ tuition expenses at state schools are based on nonresident costs, which are still usually less expensive than those of private universities. You will need approximately $10,000 to $55,000 annually to cover your tuition fees.

Schedule an Interview

S.No Study Program Approximate tuition fees in USD$
1 Undergraduate Bachelor Degree $15,000 to $40,000 per year
2 Graduate programs $20,000 to $40,000 per year
3 Doctoral Degree $20,000 to $45,000 per year


Universities and Colleges in the US have 3 intakes. Students have the option of choosing the term of their study from three main flexible intakes, Spring (January), Fall (September) and Summer (May).

Intake 1: Fall Semester – It commences in August/September and is the major intake.

Intake 2: Spring Semester – It commences in January/February intake is also available.

Intake 3: Summer Semester – It commences in May/June and is available for selected Courses.


Student Applicant:

  • Students must be over 18 years of age

  • International students can work on-campus up to 20 hours/week or less during the academic terms and full-time during the academic break periods including the summertime

  • Off-campus employment requires some form of written or documented authorization issued by either the USCIS or OISS. And also, you must be currently in legal status and have been enrolled as an F-1 student in the US for a minimum of one academic year to be eligible for any form of off-campus employment


Per U.S. government regulations, only married spouses can obtain a dependent visa status. The student, scholar or employee can add a dependent spouse to his or her record, and the spouse can then obtain a dependent visa status (F-2, J-2 or H-4). These dependent statuses do have certain restrictions.


You will generally need the following for your US Student Visa application:

  • A valid passport with a validity date at least six months beyond your period of stay

  • Recent passport size photograph

  • Confirmation page of DS-160

  • Form I -20

  • Payment of application fees for SEVIS

  • Application as a non-immigrant

  • Your University will make you aware of additional requirements if any prior to your application


F1 visa holders are eligible for up to 12 months of OPT (optional practical training) on completion of graduation. That means you can work for a year after you finish your studies

It is temporary employment permission allowing students the opportunity to gain practical experience in their field of study

After that, you’ll be required to apply for a work visa if you have to continue working in the US. You can remain in the US up to 60 days after the completion of your course even if you don’t have a job offer or haven’t applied for OPT


The student dependent visa is called the F2 Visa. The F2 visa is a non-immigrant dependent visa where the immediate family members of the F1 student visa holders can come to the US. Dependents include the spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21.

  • Eligibility conditions for the F2 visa

  • Must be the spouse of an F1 student visa holder.

  • Must be the dependent child (under 21 years and unmarried) of an F1 visa holder.

  • Applicant must have enough financial resources to support the family in the US F2 visa requirements

  • Passport (both original and photocopies)

  • Visa application confirmation (DS-160)

  • A photograph conforming to U.S. visa rules

  • Birth certificate for dependent children

  • Marriage certificate for spouses

  • Visa fee payment receipt

  • Applicant’s I-20 form

  • Copy of F1 visa holder’s I-20 form

  • Applicant’s bank statements, tax records, and employment documents as proof of financial stability